Most people don’t know how to cook smoked salmon and buy it in supermarkets. You should know that homemade smoked salmon is much more delicious. Moreover, you don’t need to spend much time and ingredients for cooking. This fish can be served in canapes, salads and potatoes dishes. It can also become a nutritious snack. Salmon can be smoked in a hot or cold way.
Salmon is a very wholesome fish. It is rich in iron and saturated fatty acids which are good for brains and the immune system. Smoking salmon is not difficult; it takes less time than smoking pork or venison. There are dozens of recipes how to cook smoked salmon depending on the area and people’s preferences. Here is one of the most wide-spread and easiest recipes.
So, let’s get it started.
- Take one salmon and salt it. Wait for one day. It is recommended to take fillet.
- Cut the fish into several pieces;
- Add some dried herbs like basil, thyme, dill, etc.
- Don’t forget to salt and pepper them.
- Cut onions and lemon into slices and cover the fish.
- Use foil to wrap the fish.
- Preheat the oven to 240 C, place the dish onto a dripping pan and leave for 10 minutes in the oven.
Look once while it is being smoked. You can also pour several drops of lemon juice if you don’t use lemon. Some people add a little of olive oil.
You can marinate salmon before cooking. Use whiskey or bourbon if you want to add some special taste to the fish. Adding a little bit of rum makes it sweeter. It should be born in mind that a piece which weighs 150g needs 10-13 minutes to be smoked. So, if you take one kilogram of fish, don’t think that it will be ready in less than an hour. You can also try to cook smoked salmon on the grill. It is convenient if you have an outdoor party on a warm spring or summer day. If you don’t know how to grill salmon, don’t be upset! It is as easy as in the oven. Just don’t use foil. Ingredients are the same.
Here are also some tips which can be used in the process of smoking:
- Salmon fillet should be of bright orange-red color. Don’t use fish if it has green, yellowish or white spots. The smell should be fresh too.
- Don’t salt for more than one day. The taste will be spoiled.
- You can marinate salmon with mustard to make it softer.
- There are a great many of recipes of soup with smoked salmon. If you see that your fish is going to be spoiled soon, cook soup. It will be a great decision for dinner.
- Tell your friends how to cook smoked salmon (or how to cook salmon). Perhaps, they know interesting recipes and you can cook something unusual and extremely tasty.